How to get better sound in your meetings
Do you suffer from subpar sound in your remote meetings? Relax, we have some advice that might help. Our checklist covers everything from simple little measures to more major interventions. Go through the list and you'll be on your way to a much less stressful meeting experience.
Before and during the meeting there are a number of minor tips that have an immediate effect on sound quality and cut irritating distractions:
- Don't tap your pen or fingers on the table.
- Remember that the screen on your laptop is a barrier between you and the microphone.
- Don't place paper or folders over any expansion microphones on the table.
- Don't put your chin in your hand when you're talking.
- Avoid background noise from other rooms and from outside – close doors and windows.
- If you're taking part remotely in a noisy environment, mute the microphone when you're not speaking. Try to find a different location if possible.
- Do you tend to have problems with noise from fans? Konftel's telephones with OmniSound filter out disturbing fan noise. With a Konftel telephone, you can therefore keep the fan on during your meeting and maintain a pleasant temperature in the room.
Furnish the room for better sound
Today's modern, minimalist rooms are the most common cause of poor sound quality in audio conferencing. A cold room causes the sound to bounce around and gives a longer reverberation time. But there are ways to furnish a room to reduce the reverberation time.
As mentioned above, Konftel's telephones are good at filtering out disturbing background noise, but there are limits. Check with the people at the other end to see how much background sound is coming through. Avoid rooms close to busy roads or noisy air conditioning.
The flooring is important. Try to go for soft furnishings that cut sound reverberation. Fitted carpet or rugs reduce sound reverberation.
Put up long blinds, curtains and wall hangings if the room has windows and large empty walls.
Decorate the room with pot plants (even plastic plants work well).
If the ceiling is large and cold, put up acoustic panels. If the ceiling is high, suspend the panels at a lower level.
It can be a good idea to contact an interior design expert when furnishing a conference room.
Large pickup range? Use expansion microphones
When the pickup range is greater than 30 square meters, expansion microphones are a good idea. Expansion microphones can be added to many of Konftel's models, doubling the pickup range. The 300-series has a built-in microphone with 360° pickup. Models that can have expansion microphones added include the Konftel 55Wx. Choose the length of connecting cable that suits you best, 1.5 or 2.5 meters.
Headset helps with presentations
When lecturing or holding a presentation, you often stand some distance from the other participants. By connecting a wireless headset to a Konftel 300, 300IP or 300IPx, your speech is carried via the conference phone.
Add a wireless headset to the Konftel 300/300IP/300IPx and you can be sure that even those participating remotely will hear everything you say.
Large meetings demand powerful sound
Large meetings require powerful sound systems. The Konftel 300, 300IP and 300IPx can be connected to external speakers and microphones via a PA system with the help of the Konftel PA interface box (item no. 900102087). This gives you the freedom to tailor the conference equipment to your specific needs.
You can, for example, equip all the participants with microphones for active involvement. External speakers relay the sound.